The Occasional Student status is designed for you if you wish to pursue theological studies without the need to enter a formal program of study for any reason. You may be:
● Hoping to “test the waters” prior to making a full commitment to seminary studies
● A life-long learner seeking personal growth or professional development
● Seeking opportunities to study on a course-by-course basis
● Hoping to get a taste of what it is like to study at CAREY
For Occasional Student candidates, the application process is easier and more streamlined, enabling you to begin your theological studies as quickly as possible.
To “test the waters” of theological education
To continue your pursuit in life-long learning
To study for credit prior to committing to a formal program
To experience what it is like to study at CAREY
You may take up to nine credits as an occasional student up to a limit of two courses per semester. Exceptions can be made if you are pursuing ongoing personal study pending approval. If you are an international student, you may take online courses from your home country.
After studying as an Occasional Student, you have the option to enroll into a certificate, diploma or degree program, pending application and acceptance through CAREY’s normal admissions procedures. Studying as an Occasional Student does not guarantee acceptance into a degree program at Carey Theological College. If you are admitted into a program, completed eligible courses may be used to fulfill the requirements of that program.
Individuals wishing to “test the water” to see if seminary is for them or to take courses at Carey Theological College for credit without admission to a degree program may do so through our “occasional student status”.
Acceptance as an occasional student does not guarantee acceptance to a degree program at Carey Theological College.
1. Possess an undergraduate degree.
2. If you're coming from outside of Canada to study as an Occasional Student, and you plan to study for less than six months, you may not require a study permit.
3. International students may take online courses from their home country.
4. All applicants need to meet Carey’s English language requirements.
5. Simply fill out an application form at https://learn.carey-edu.ca/apply/